Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chuy's Mexican Food in Kissimmee - A Review

A chain called Chuy's (which started in Austin TX in 1982) has recently opened near Walt Disney World. You could think of it as something like El Torito, Acapulco's, or a billion other chain Mexican restaurants, but the reality is, this one is the best of the chains, in terms of food. Fresh, flavorful, and with every element of our visit perfect.

We dropped by at 6:30 on a Sunday - the parks were all still open, so the crowds might get worse later. For now, we had no wait for a table, but it was almost full inside. It's only been open for several weeks, and it's located quite close to WDW along US-192-West, in Kissimmee (if you know the area, a new Target opened up recently across the street).

The decor is crowded, cluttered, and eclectic, a bit like House of Blues in affect but nothing like it in style. It's more whimsical. One room was chock full of hubcaps on the ceiling!!

They make tortillas right on the spot, which I didn't notice until we were on the way out. I should have ordered the fajitas (which in fairness the server did recommend).

What we did order was superior. The guacamole ($5) was an effective pair to the free chips and salsa. My wife, a salsa expert, found this one among her very favorites. A creamy jalepeno dip was also brought out for us - think of this as looking like ranch dressing but tasting like heaven. Great on the chips AND on the food, which came next.

My wife had the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (I think about $11), a chicken burrito with a fiery kick. Not spicy just for the sake of being spicy, but actually having flavor. I can tell you this is rare. We love Mexican food and don't find very much authentic stuff out here in Florida, but this one was nice.

I had a combo plate ($10). The ground beef taco was divertingly tasty, and I gobbled it up before noticing I had started. The chicken chalupa (better thought of as a tostada) was also excellent, though this one didn't disappear before I knew what happened. I didn't even have room to taste my enchilada!

Bottom line: this is probably my favorite chain Mexican food in the world. It also beats many of the family-run Mexican restaurants we knew growing up in Southern California. We will be back for sure!















---
Kevin Yee is the author of numerous independent Disney books, including the popular Walt Disney World Earbook series and Walt Disney World Hidden History.