Monday, March 25, 2013

Communist China flags for sale at Epcot

Do all the pavilions in World Showcase sell flags of their host countries? 



I saw this little beauty tucked away next to the cash register in the shop in China. It struck me as a little out of place. Most of the store (and indeed the pavilion) celebrates Chinese heritage, history, art, and accomplishments, but not the current country or government.

Then again, some of the other countries around World Showcase are way more blatant about using their flags (Norway is one example, and I think Germany too).

Still, China is a Communist country and that changes the rules somewhat. Back in 2010 I found them selling Communist solider puppets, but when I posted about it online they were gone the next week.




---
Kevin Yee is the author of numerous independent Disney books, including the popular Walt Disney World Earbook series and Walt Disney World Hidden History.