Friday, June 15, 2012

Religious "Costume" at the Magic Kingdom

I spotted this female Cast Member (pictured below) in the Magic Kingdom near the Emporium last weekend. The headgear / scarf portion of her costume is not worn by other CMs working the location, and I wondered if this was a "religion-based" adaptation of the costume.



Two years ago, Noor Abdallah and Imane Boudlal held separate, high publicity fights with Disneyland in Anaheim over their rights to wear a hijab to work. In both cases, the workers won out, though both the press and the public weighed in frequently on the controversy.

I have not seen a costume altered for religious reasons in any Disney park until now (assuming that's what we see here). I don't believe I've seen any press on this woman working at the Magic Kingdom, so my next assumption is that Disney no longer tries to enforce a one-size-fits-all policy when it comes to costumes. It would appear that things get worked out amicably now without stories appearing in the press. In other words, if someone wants a costume altered for religious reasons, my guess would be that now this is what they get, without needing to file discrimination claims.




---
Kevin Yee is the author of numerous independent Disney books, including the popular Walt Disney World Earbook series and Walt Disney World Hidden History.